Thursday, July 2, 2009

Celebrating 14 years...



Today we are celebrating our 14th wedding anniversary and it's a bittersweet celebration because we are missing our sweet Bella girl. Three days ago - on June 29th, my parents had to make the tough decision to let her rest! She would've been 14 years old in September. A long life for a dog. What a true blessing she was!

We had just moved to Italy (Sept 1995) and our neighbor picked her out for us from a box in front of the commissary. She said it was a "Welcome to Your New Home" gift. I was thrilled and fell instantly IN LOVE! Dale was ready to give her back! Obviously - my LOVE for this furry little pet soon rubbed off on him!

I could sit for hours just holding her, talking to her and petting her. Living in a new country and moving far far away from all my family & friends was a huge adjustment... having Bella made it much easier to cope with! She distracted me... and for the first 3 years - it was just Dale, Bella & I. It was the start of our family.

Having Bella prepared me to be a good mommy! She taught me how to be patient & how to love unconditionally! Bella was faithful until the end. She was great with the kids... even during their toddler years of fur pulling & tugging! Bella watched us bring home 4 children - she was a part of our family!



Today we celebrate our marriage... but also the LIFE OF BELLA and all the love she gave us throughout our journey together as a family. The journey that started 14 years ago! She takes with her a piece of my heart... and I still have tears in my eyes just thinking of her not with us anymore! Realizing that we will never see her again!

She is no longer suffering. No longer in pain. In the end she barely ate her food... couldn't walk down the steps of my parents motorhome... and had difficulty breathing. She was living with my parents in Florida - as the journey here to Guam would've been too much for her to handle at her age. It was hard to leave her behind. Daniella, who was probably the MOST fond of Bella was wishing that we could go back to visit her - and was recently asking if we would ever see her again. I think she knew that we were on borrowed time already!

I will always remember how she loved to play with a ball. Racquet balls were her favorite because she would chew on it until it popped! She could time the super bounce real well and catch it in mid-air!

I will always remember when my mom came to visit us in Sicily - we would go on the base and walk around the track. Bella would be off her leash and drop her ball... we would walk around a few times and then I would say, "Bell, where's your ball?" And she would go find it.

I will always remember she would always come in the bathroom when I sat down... knowing that she had my full attention. If I didn't pet her right away... she'd put her muzzle under my hand and flick my hand up so it landed on the top of her head.

I will always remember how we locked ourselves out (while living in Sicily) and I called her through our glass front door and within a few seconds she had unlocked the door... seriously - she did, it was so amazing!

I will always remember how you would run with your hind legs a bit sideways... it was a Bella signature run.

I will always remember coming home to find you shaking (again in Sicily) because our house had been broken into and you had a bump on your shoulder area - probably from being hit with something. I didn't care what was taken... I was just happy that Bella was safe.

I will always remember how you HAD to bark whenever the doorbell rang... it drove me crazy! And how thunderstorms made you so scared! You would shake in your boots even before we even heard the thunder...

I will always remember how I taught you how to "smile" and you showed your teeth... you only did it a few times... but it was cute.

I will always remember all the tricks you learned... sit, shake, stay, hi-5, turn around, bow, smile, speak, crawl, roll over, fetch.

I will always remember how much you LOVED cheese!

I will always remember how you would tilt your head and put your ears up whenever I would say, "Bella where's the squirrel?" or "Bella, you want some cheeeeeesssseee?"

I will always remember how much you LOVED to swim in the beach... in the creek... anywhere there was water!!!!

I will always remember YOU!

THANKS AMY for this beautiful poem posted on my Facebook page:

LAST NIGHT
I stood by your bed last night; I came to have a peep.
I could see that you were crying you found it hard to sleep.
I whined to you softly as you brushed away a tear,
"It's me, I haven't left you, I'm well, I'm fine, I'm here."
I was close to you at breakfast, I watched you pour the tea,
You were thinking of the many times, your hands reached down to me.
I was with you at the shops today; your arms were getting sore.
I longed to take your parcels, I wish I could do more.
I was with you at my grave today; you tend it with such care.
I want to re-assure you, that I'm not lying there.
I walked with you towards the house, as you fumbled for your key.
I gently put my paw on you; I smiled and said, "it's me."
You looked so very tired, and sank into a chair.
I tried so hard to let you know, that I was standing there.
It's possible for me, to be so near you everyday.
To say to you with certainty, "I never went away."
You sat there very quietly, then smiled, I think you knew...
in the stillness of that evening, I was very close to you.
The day is over... I smile and watch you yawning and say "good-night,
God bless, I'll see you in the morning."...
And when the time is right for you to cross the brief divide,
I'll rush across to greet you and we'll stand, side by side.
I have so many things to show you, there is so much for you to see.
Be patient, live your journey out...then come home to be with me.

- Author Unknown

No comments:

Time flies when you're havin' fun...

We moved to California


VISIT our OTHER BLOG (cut and paste)

http://everyday-joshua1nine.blogspot.com/

Dales return from deployment - WELCOME BACK
July 2010 - March 2011

Our Gift of A Day... in beautiful Hawaii

Our Gift of A Day... in beautiful Hawaii
click on our photo to read about it!

7th B'day


"our growing family"